Saturday, February 13, 2010

Roller Blader or Out Of Control Freight Train?

The was felt crisp and I was nervous as we entered. The lady handing me my ticket seemed pleasant enough and $3 admission seemed like a steal. Seeing a group of friends I made my way over to them and got the conversation started.
"Hey man. What are you doing here I thought you and Jill couldn't come?" I asked in an excited voice.
"Yeah well Zach was able to give us a ride. I told you I was pretty sure I'd be able to come." He answered me in his usual spastic voice. "Hey check out my new hat" He points up to a checker patterned fedora "what do you think?"
Pretending to show interest I said "Yeah, thats really cool where'd you get it."
The conversation continued on like this until slowly the floor got filled with the thud of skates and blades hitting the ground. The main lights began to dim as the black lights kicked into high gear and the music was slowly turned up. Steadily the floor gets filled with young and old, new and experienced skaters and plenty of wipeouts to enjoy. 



I had never skated before, with the small exception of 10 years ago with a pair of blades I may have used once. About 30 minutes had passed from the 2 hours we had rented the place. I went over to the rental counter and asked for size 12 blades. 
"Ok I'm gonna need your shoes" said the man behind the counter. I was a little taken aback thinking why do you need my shoes. Slowly it began to make logical sense to me, that if they have your shoes you have to return the skates to get them back. As this epiphany hit it became a manner of pure genius to me. I ran over to get my ticket out of my sweatshirt and got my blades. I went over to where my buddy was tightening up his blades and I slipped mine on. He kept telling me "just keep your feet like a V-shape and use one leg to push". When I first got out on that track I looked like a newborn baby trying to walk, just no coordination and no rhyme or reason to what I was doing. Slowly but steadily i got my gliding forward going and then I was even get a little confidence taking turns. Through the night I realized having a little more speed into a turn was very helpful. I only pushed one kid down that night that wasn't my fault. I was going kinda fast and two people cut in front of me so I had to kick left real quick where someone else was and then kick right and then having nowhere else to go I put my hand of this kid to slow myself down. I accidentely pushed him to hard and he fell backwards. I felt bad but was completely unintentional


It was a successful night in my mind because I hadn't fallen and almost enjoyed it. It was definately worth the money and I can't wait to buy own blades that actually stay buckled and get good at it.


Have A Good One! 
p.s. any site feedback always appreciated and responded too. Thanx!

1 comment:

  1. Ben, I love your stories. I stalk your blog ... woo-hoo.

    Sydnie
    www.takemeouttotherunway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I apprecaite every comment like ALOT because no one EVER comments, so leave one and check back because I will respond to it.